CULT OF CHUCKY Blu-ray Review
Confined to an asylum for the criminally insane for the past four years, Nica Pierce (Fiona Dourif) is erroneously convinced that she, not Chucky, murdered her entire family. But when her psychiatrist introduces a new therapeutic tool to facilitate his patients’ group sessions – an all-too-familiar Good Guy doll with an innocently smiling face – a string of grisly deaths begins to plague the asylum, and Nica starts to wonder if maybe she isn’t crazy after all. Andy Barclay (Alex Vincent), Chucky’s now-grown-up nemesis from the original Child’s Play, races to Nica’s aid. But to save her he’ll have to get past Tiffany (Jennifer Tilly), Chucky’s long-ago bride, who will do anything, no matter how deadly or depraved, to help her beloved devil doll.
Directed By: Don Mancini
Written By: Don Mancini
Starring: Allison Dawn Doiron (Rachel), Alex Vincent (Andy Barclay), Brad Dourif (Chucky), Fiona Dourif ( Nica Pierce), Elisabeth Rosen (Madeleine), Michael Therriault (Dr. Foley), Zak Santiago (Nurse Carlos), Ali Tataryn (Nurse Ashley), Marina Stephenson Kerr (Angela), Jennifer Tilly (Tiffany), and more.
Genre: Horror & Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 31 Minutes
- English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
- French: DTS 5.1
- Spanish: DTS 5.1
- Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
- Resolution: 1080p
- Aspect ratio: 1.78:1
- Original aspect ratio: 1.78:1
- Subtitles: English SDH, French, & Spanish
- Inside the Insanity of Cult of Chucky — Viewers will discover what it was like to film inside an insane asylum and the challenges production faced on set. They’ll also hear from the cast and filmmakers as they discuss why they were attracted to this story and how the filmmakers’ vision brought this fun-filled horror film together.
- Good Guy Gone Bad: The Incarnations of Chucky — This featurette offers a peek into Alterian’s workshop, the studio behind Chucky’s puppeteering, to see how the magic is created and focuses on how the look of Chucky has evolved over the years.
- Feature Commentary with Director and Writer Don Mancini, and Head Puppeteer Tony Gardner.
I give the Cult of Chucky Blu-ray a C+.
I’m a huge fan of horror even the really cheesy ones. This movie is the kind that you pop in your Blu-ray player when you want to have a horror movie marathon, relaxing on the couch with a huge bowl of popcorn.
One thing I like about this films is that Chucky is voiced by the same actor, Brad Dourif. I don’t think I would like the film too much if someone else voiced him. It wouldn’t be the same. Alex Vincent, who plays Andy Barclay, actually starred in Child’s Play (released in 1988) when he was a kid. I liked how Dr. Foley (played by Michael Therriault) said that he purchased the doll from Hot Topic. I thought it was funny because one year they actually sold the Chucky dolls there. I also liked how Chucky mentioned that he wished the TV series Hannibal would return because I totally agree with him!
The film is similar to the previous films. Nica returns (Fiona Dourif). Now, she’s in a mental institution where the psychiatrist purchases a Good Guy Doll as therapy. That is when the fun begins. It’s your typical slasher film with blood and guts.
What I didn’t like was Chucky. I felt he was too modernized. He looked like a porcelain doll and because of that, he wasn’t scary. He didn’t look real. The Chucky from the 80s looked real. It was plausible to me that this doll could come to life and kill people. I guess I’m old-school. I’m more of a fan of the animatronics from those days then the newer technology of today.
Check out Cult of Chucky out on Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital HD Tuesday, October 3rd.